Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Nothing happened today

How great is that! Nothing really happened today. Boy, I wish I could believe that. The greater likelihood is that a lot happened and I was so self-absorbed that I missed it.

Come to think of it something wonderful did happen. My friend celebrated her 70th birthday this afternoon. Her life has not been without challenges, yet she is so upbeat whenever I meet with her.

"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit". Albert Schweitzer.

Thanks Jacqueline!

What else happened today? People in Windsor and other places in the US rebuilding their lives after the tornadoes left them homeless and without jobs. Folks in China are living in tents after losing everything in the earthquakes. In Burma, perhaps millions are without shelter, food, medicine and sanitation.

These tragedies, and the grinding living conditions in other parts of the world inspire the best in some to bring comfort and relief to these folks and others. I read the following recently and it really moved me.

September 2004: At the time of the war in Kosovo, a Serbian Orthodox monk named Sava who was based there was asked 'Whose side is God on in this conflict? to which he replied
'God is on the side of the suffering people'.
Really says it all I think.

No comments: