Friday, May 16, 2008

Coincidence


"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous"
Coincidence is a recurring theme in my thinking lately. I can't help but wonder what "coincidences" I may have missed. I am certainly alert to them now.
I had intended this blog as way staying in touch with my marvelous community during the time in which I would not be able to speak. I discovered that I also hoped that it could become a sort of virtual "campfire", around which we could gather to swap inspiring stories, favorite books, poems and other encouragements. To some extent both have happened.
There have been a couple of unintended and unforeseen outcomes. I have benefited in practice of keeping a daily journal. This journal has helped me focus my thoughts and meditate on the topics discussed here. Who knew that all those people who have recommended to me that I journal were right!
The second is that some have opened their hearts to me and shared deeply about their struggles, fears and hopes. This has been the most significant outcome for me because it has been given to me to realize that only by offering my vulnerability was I eligible to share the vulnerabilities of others. And I have to tell you that vulnerability was not a virtue where I grew up. It was an invitation to abuse and bullying.
I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks....if he is willing to learn!

No comments: