Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Lord is my Shepherd


Psalm 23-The Divine Shepherd

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths for his names sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and staff--
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil:
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life
and I shall dwell in the house of the lord
my whole life long."


I have taken great comfort from this Psalm since I first heard it. I am sure that my parents must have used it for our evening prayers. What could be more comforting than this promise of the Good Shepherd. We are all beset, from time to time with circumstances that are beyond our control. These are often very frightening. Certainly, this is such a time for me. My future is unknowable and even my doctors are not in total agreement as to the best protocol for my treatment.
Yet I am at peace.
I found this image on the Boston Museum of Fine Arts website
It was painted by Constant Troyon, a French 19th Century artist. I think it portrays well the sense of tranquility and trust that is promised in the 23rd Psalm.

No comments: