Friday, October 17, 2008

Return to the new normal


It has been quite some time since I last posted and entry to this blog. This will be my final entry. I have completed all cancer treatments to very good result and am well on my way to the "new" normal. I think of this part of my life as the new normal because I have been changed and, to my mind improved by my dance with cancer.


Preeminent among the lessons of this dance for me was an understanding of the importance of one's attitute towards adversity. I had enough time to ruminate on my situation and came to understand that I, like everyone are exposed to what I think of as the "human condition". It became clear to me that I wasn't singled out for suffering and punishment by some angry God. After all, 1 in 3 will get cancer at some time in their life. Rather, I understood that God was with me through my suffering and was helping me to find the faith and equanimity that there would be a blessing from this trial.


It was easy for me to find many examples of this principal in the historic figures who made profound improvements in lives of others because or possibly in spite of personal adversity. While I certainly do not count myself among them, I do know that I now have more time for conversations with friends and family, that I look for more opportunities to help in whatever small way I may. My prayers are for the healing and well being of others and gratitude for my return to health. This is the new normal for me.
To all who have read my blog, thank you. Many of you sent emails to me offering support, compassion and comfort. I cannot express how important your kindness was to me during this very difficult period. May you be blessed and your lives be full of joy!

No comments: